Tuesday 16 October 2012

Mr Bloom's Fantastic Vegetables

The other day, I was shopping in WHSmiths (As I do all the damn time) and when I say "The other day" I mean... about a month ago.
I spotted a magazine in the children's section (That's where all the cool kids browse) that was brightly coloured, full of shapes and big blod lettering, obviously there to attract little eyes.
It worked.
I was drawn to it like a magpie to a Shiny McShinington from Shiny town.

The magazine was produced by the BBC for the television programme, broadcast on the UK channel "Ceebeebies", "My Bloom's Nursery"
The magazine looked pretty amazing.

but what really got me was the prize on the front. All great magazines come with free stuff. And this free stuff was amazing. So amazing I bought the damn thing.

I've never taken drugs, I never want to. But if I was to take LSD- I can imagine THIS is exactly what I would see:

This... This is Mr Bloom. and his vegetables.
Yeah- they all have faces, your mind isn't playing games. On the front of the magazine came free, 3 inch plastic figures of all of those vegetables. However, these vegetables all looked MORE stoned than they do in that picture. They all have wonderful names too.
Obviously, I was very excited.

It got me thinking, though. The age of child that this is aimed at, is about the same age when I was watching Teletubbies. and even earlier than that: Sesame Street.

Most, if not all, my viewers should know what Sesame Street is. and if you don't... well- here goes.

The legendary programme was dreamed up by some cool guys called Joan Cooney and Loyd Morrisett. Not Jim Henson, as many think. Jim Henson, was the genius behind the Muppets- the puppets involved in the show to teach kids everywhere about counting, shapes--- and cookies.
This guy-will never die in the hearts of true 90s kids.
Not to be confused with this guy.

That is the cookie monster. He never really taught anything other than COOKIES ARE AMAZING.

The show was also home to more amazing characters: Bert and Ernie, the best friends, always presumed gay because they slept in the same bed... That rumour was quashed by the producers, after pointing out that actually, there are two seperate beds and they're not humans, they are puppets. They are just great friends.
Bert was my favourite. He collected paper clips and liked Pigeons. Isn't that just the best?! *Counts paperclips*

The days of Sesame Street on English Television at any decent time has long gone, and now we find ourselves with Mr Bloom up there along with In the Night Garden- equally trippy... not quite as educational.

and as a last little note, I want to remember my favourite television programme when I was a little trog (As opposed to a big trog...)


Along with my favourite character who only ever appeared in one episode:













And the most scary characters ever to come out of television can also be blamed on the Teletubbies:
Watch this first without sound, and watch the subtitles to be freaked out. Then- if you don't want to sleep for weeks; watch it with sound.
Thank you, and Sleep Tight.

No comments:

Post a Comment